Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done." ~Author Unknown

It may have taken me a long time to get Graham's 10 month post done, but it's finally here!
Graham is now 10 1/2 months old and full of energy! He crawls all over the place on his belly but hasn't gotten up on his hands and knees yet. He tries really hard but doesn't seem to make it up all the way. He is super fast on his belly and makes me chase him around the room to catch him sometimes.
He has started climbing all over everything. His bouncer and chair is now a climbing toy and he has conquered getting up the first step of the stairs. Eric has been working on teaching him how to go down the stairs and we've both been amazed at how quickly he picks up on something.
Eric and I have been starting to teach Graham how to walk. He does great for a few steps while we hold his hands and then decides he would rather jump. We get our exercise and a good laugh and Graham gets a free jump while we hold him and lots of giggles. We are planning on getting some kind of walker toy for Graham's first birthday and hopefully that will help pick up walking faster.
The last time we went to the doctor, Graham was 25lbs and 30 inches long. I am guessing he is around 27-28lbs and probably 32inches long. His body and arms are longer than his legs, just like Eric, so he wears 24 month shirts and 12-18 month pants. He has started wearing shoes and actually likes them. He doesn't complain when we put them on and doesn't try to take them off. He loves to touch the tips of his shoes and wiggle his feet back and forth with the heavy shoes on. He eats very well. Anything we give him, he has no problem eating. There have only been a few foods that he doesn't like. Peaches and eggs are the top of the list of hates. Pears, watermelon, green beans, corn and macaroni and cheese are his favorite. We no longer buy baby food because he won't settle for anything less than our food. We buy lots of snacks like cereal and crackers and he still drinks formula. We are down to only having a bottle at nap times and bed time and he drinks water or juice from a sippy cup at other times.
Graham with his cousin Piper. She is a few months older than him but he's bigger.
We have been working on a new sleeping program. Graham would fight us for hours to go to bed and wouldn't take naps. It was starting to take a toll on me and we decided to start a new program from the "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" book. We read books to Graham after putting him in his pj's, sing songs (some silly songs like "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Popcorn Popping" and then quiet songs like "I am a Child of God" and "I Love to See the Temple"), and rock-a-bye while giving him a bottle. When he is finished with his bottle, we lay him down and tell him goodnight and that we love him and then walk out of the room. He cries for about 1/2 hour and we don't go to get him, no matter how long he cries at night. Eventually he falls sound asleep and ends up sleeping all night. He was going to bed really late so we have been bumping his bed time up little by little every night. Our goal is to have him in bed by 8:30pm. The book is amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone having trouble with their kids sleeping.
Graham is so funny! The little things he does everyday amaze Eric and I and we can't believe how hard we laugh sometimes. We can tell this kid is going to be riot when he grows up. Everyone loves him and thinks he is the cutest thing in the world. I still get many many comments on how adorable he is in every way. He loves people, he loves showing off and loves the attention. He is such a beautiful and amazing child and I am so grateful to have him.

2 comments:

Mary Ludwig said...

He is SOO cute! I thought it was exciting when Lily started going up and down stairs- and it was...until now. Enjoy that while it's still an option. Lol- Lily can finds stairs ANYWHERE! Also- I'm SO glad that he is sleeping better. I wanted to write on your status but didn't want to be rude. But almost any dr you talk to will tell you that there is nothing wrong with crying it out. MY dad is a dr and they let all 7 of us cry...and I think we're all ok..? So don't feel guilty about letting him cry it out. I'm REALLY glad that book is helping! I love it.

Matt and Alissa said...

Holy cow, what a good kid. That is awesome that you are getting him to in sleep routine, that will come in so handy later when you add another child into the mix. He is such a cutie. You guys are awesome parents.