Friday, August 29, 2008

The Camera and the Cabin

Well, last week was pretty fun. On Wednesday, I got the camera that I had been waiting for for an excruciating five days! When I got the notice on our door Wednesday afternoon that the delivery guy had missed us, we decided to run a few errands until we could go to DHL and pick it up ourselves. When 5 o'clock rolled around, we finally got it and, fearing my excitement would lead to fast and distracted driving, I made Julia drive home while I carefully unwrapped every piece that came with the camera.

I went the unconventional route, and though the ca
mera elitists out there might scoff at me (snooty snoot faces!)
, I bought an Olympus EVOLT E-510 SLR. I got an amazing deal on it and got two lenses to boot. One wide angle standard lens and a sweet macro lens for getting close up shots of everything from pocket lint to weeds in our 'garden.' Really fascinating stuff!

After getting comfortable with the camera through heavy bathroom reading of the braille bible-sized users guide we set off on Friday afternoon after work to stay with Matt and Alyssa, Ana and Scott, and some of Matt's friends up at Alyssa's parents' cabin in the middle of nowhere. We climbed for what seemed to be an eternity through woods and thicket until we finally arrived at the modestly sized cabin in a clearing. The seven-bedroom, 4-bathroom house with indoor hottub, pool table, and ping pong fun zone would have been a tight fit for even a single couple, but we all managed to squeeze in for the weekend, all 6 adults + mini-people in diapers.

We settled in for the night while I attempted to take pictures of the moon and stars. Here below is the best, most spooky shot I got. I wanted something to convey the serenity I felt up there in Ax-Murderer's Cove, as the locals call it.


All night we played Cranium, which Julia and I of course destroyed Matt and Alyssa at and also got a game of Balderdash in, which was filled with the usual hilarity.

The next morning was filled with more games. The guys played pool while the girls tended to youngin's and then Matt, John, and I played a couple never-ending games of Monopoly. I definitely had an ace up my sleeve while playing. That didn't help me, of course, as Monopoly isn't played with face cards, but with cold, hard Monopoly cash, sweat, and tears. Matt made a mockery out of us and truly donned the monocle and top hat of a champion after the games.

We then decided it would be a great idea to go up through a time warp/inter-reality portal to the Shire, popularized in the hit movie, (which they then made books out of) The Lord of the Rings, about an olympic gymnast (Elijah Wood as Bill Bobaggins nephew). It seemed a bit confusing, so I have actually never seen it, but I hear it ranks up there with such great Olympic movies as Chariots of Fire and Chariots of Fire 2: a-Blazin' Feets (The lesser known, but more emotionally-charged sequel). Anyway...

We arrived at our destination after climbing up the mountain and came upon the village. Look how huge I am compared to everything else! It was like being back in Peru again! I look like I am in danger and that Julia is flying beside me as I prepare to fall to my death, but it is just an illusion. I was really mere inches off the ground!!! I know it is hard to believe, but this photo was completely set up and contains no actual danger.

We messed around and got a few other pictures, namely these as we walked around and delayed returning to our cramped quarters.







When we got back, Julia prepared two amazing salads with her bare hands. They were healthy to the max and made sure to include all of the food groups, namely vegetables (lettuce and celery), fruit (grapes), grain (delicious noodles), proteins (cashews and bacon bits (with NO MSG ADDED! Booya!)), sugars (sugar), and mayonnaise (mayonnaise). We weren't getting our daily recommended dose of half cup of mayonnaise per day like the foot doctor recommended, but with Julia's salads we were getting much closer. They were delicioso. For all you one-languagers out there, that means delicious. The other food was not too shabby, either.

After lunch/dinner we just laid around and didn't do much (or did we, my mind is hazy at this point) and then it started getting dark and we were shown the front door. I admired the quality craftmanship of it as I had done with all of the other doors in the house that weekend. It then dawned on me that dusk was fast approaching. We packed up and left and headed home. The memories of the weekend will stay with us forever. We thought it was awesome up there and hope that if we weren't too awesome of guests, we will be invited back to the cabin next year. I know Julia will be up to it. Maybe by then, my camera skills will be as great as my enthusiasm for the great outdoors.

Thanks Matt and Alyssa for an excellent weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anytime guys. We'll see what we can finagle with my parentals