Tuesday, February 23, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM (yesterday)

Well, yesterday was my sweet mama's birthday! She celebrated by having the day off (very rare for her) and spending the day relaxing. I'm so glad she got the chance to do that. She works so hard and deserves a good day in bed doing what she wanted.

My mom and sisters came out over Valentine's weekend to watch Graham for Eric and I so we could go on a date. Before she came, I got the great idea to make her a cake. I didn't just want to make any old cake, so I decided to put my hours of watching cake shows to use. I researched a fondant recipe that was really easy to make and prepared 3 days in advance to make my very first fondant cake ever for my mom.

Step one: Make the fondant. If you try this recipe, you'll see that making fondant is very sticky and a lot of work but you sure get a good laugh while it's sticking all over your hands.

Step two: Make the cake. I decided to make my mom's favorite, Banana Nut Cake with Cream cheese frosting. I also did another tier of Red Velvet cake since I ran out of bananas and couldn't make the whole thing banana nut. I got the cakes made and iced them 2 days before she came.

Step three: Roll out the fondant and cover the cakes. I did a lot of research about the right way to put it on but mostly used my knowledge from watching Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss and Cake Challenges every night. It was a lot easier than I thought to put it on and get it smooth. It was really fun actually!!




Step four: Decorate!! Eric and I did this part together. It was quite a bonding experience.(haha) I think we did pretty well for our first time. It's not very smooth and has a rough feel to it, but we were very proud of it and my mom was very impressed and surprised that I had a cake for her. She even bought a box from Wal Mart (gotta love that place. It has everything!) and took the cake home. Glad you liked it mom!!!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!! and thank you for watching Graham for us! We had a great weekend with you here! We love you!!!

5 comments:

Matt and Alissa said...

Way to go! That cake turned out awesome. Happy Birthday to your mom, too. She is a very sweet lady.

Family Blog said...

Wow. That's an amazing cake, Julia! Happy Birthday to your mom!

we said...

wow, that is amazing jules, will you do my wedding cake? i mean it could happen this year! ha h a hey girl that is the right address for alexis it will never change but she is so busy she doesn't write letters anymore. you could write her an email and ask her or i could write her and see if she got your letters. can you believe she's already been out 6 months??? and spence only has 6 more months i'm so stoked you can't even believe it! love you sissy! xoxo

The Willeyes said...

Amazing cake...love your blog header picture :) Miss ya!

Megan Di said...

I LOVE that apron and you look goregous in it! :) Looks like you had fun! Hope everything is well. Love ya!